Sunday, February 25, 2018

Stepping away...

It's been maybe 4 or 5 months now. After encountering a number of decidedly disquieting, unsavory and altogether eek-worthy individuals on Facebook, I made an sudden decision to close my account.

While there are many delightful, funny and enjoyable characters that I have to say I truly do...did... enjoy and miss on Facebook, the constant WARNINGS about spammers trying to 'hack' my account (what that would benefit any, I have no idea), growing numbers of 'PASS THIS ON' nonsense blurbs popping up on my page and messenger, and chain letters that promise all manner of misfortune and assorted horrors if not copied and dutifully inflicted upon large numbers of my 'friends' immediately, I just found I couldn't take it any longer.

After my 'unplugging,' so to say, life has been much calmer. I've had time to rediscover old hobbies and am remembering how much I enjoy them. Without the constant 'busy' of dozens and dozens of others' concerns, queries, conflicts and interests blowing through my brain like winds whipping a whirly-gig into a frenzy.

I've found the moments of peace to be quite wonderfully surprising.

The company and ideas of others has always been something I've enjoyed. But now, I find myself wondering if a person that has been described as extrovert and highly social all of her life can actually change into an introvert.

While I doubt anyone would ever mistake me for being shy or retiring, preferring the softer hum of only my own thoughts has been something of a surprise. Becoming more acquainted with the sense and flavor of my own company has, of late, been a path more agreeable...certainly one less traveled by me up to this point in my life.

I've come to believe it's a good thing, for me at least, to sit back away from the crowd and watch a distance...under a shade tree...with a book in hand or while feeling soft strands of yarn slip through my fingers on it's way to becoming something useful.

Sometimes stopping is the only way to get to where you most need to be.



No comments:

Post a Comment