Thursday, October 22, 2015

Get ready, get set...

Yep, I'm going to dive right in there, mosh pit style!

NaNoWriMo, National Novel Writing Month, begins Nov 1 and I'm gearing up to join in... It'll be my first attempt...

YIKES, is this totally insane?! But what about the old adage, 'Nothing ventured, Nothing gained'? So, I've stoked up on several FREE 'How to Navigate Your First Nanowrimo' books from smile.Amazon.com into my iPad Kindle.

I know I know, pretty crazy to think I might even be close to being ready for this. To dive in with all the established 'writers,' people who's published dozens if not hundreds of books, but maybe because I'm a little sleep deprived or maybe it's a bad piece of meat from last night ... but I can't get this big grin off my face. I'm excited and can't wait to get slogging ;)

So, what's the worse that could happen?
  • I could write as hard and as fast as I can, writing more words on a page in one month than I ever have and still fail to meet the 50,000 word goal. 
  • What if I'm totally disillusioned an enormous lack of talent and inability to come up with anything worthwhile to write about? 
  • What if my characters could fall flat, be completely boring and speak reams of nonsense that would embarrass me eternally should anyone read it. 
  • Or, what if I turn out drivel that I try to pass off for plot without any flow and completely inconsistent? 
I like to consider myself a pragmatist and be prepared for what could very easily be the worse outcome. But then again, even if it all plays out in the worst way, it surely won't kill me. At least, I'm pretty sure no-one has died from a failed nanowrimo attempt. And, there's every chance that I might learn something. I could possibly even discover that I like writing and truly enjoy finding characters and discovering plots. There's even a slim possibility that I might discover I could actually be good at doing it, or at least, have the potential to be good at doing it.

With all the above in mind, even if it all plays out just that way, I surely won't die. At least, I'm pretty sure no-one has. And, there's every chance that I might learn something. I could possibly even discover that I like writing and truly enjoy finding characters and discovering plots. There's even a slim possibility that I might discover I could actually be good at doing it, or at least, have the potential to be good at doing it.

So, since thus far, I haven't been able to talk or scare myself out of it, here I go... Wish me luck :)


No comments:

Post a Comment