Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Countdown to NaNo 2015!

It's 4 days until NaNoWriMo 2015 officially kicks off! I'm really getting excited/nervous!

I'm neck deep in an outline started last week, but switched to a new template last night. That seems to be the way my writing life is progressing: 2 steps forward 1 step back. The good news is that it's still seems to be moving forward! Yeah me!

It's exciting being a part of such a huge, world-wide effort toward accomplishing a goal. So many people have a story, usually many stories, lurking inside them being held in limbo by a wistful promise of, someday I'll sit down and write that book. And this very organized push is what is the answer for so many of us.

With tons of great info readily available on the NaNoWriMo site and so many great writers and teachers of writing offering their support and aid throughout the month, to not do this after its been brought to your attention has to be considered an admission that you just really don't really intend to act on that promise to yourself.

Reading has been a big part of my life since I was tiny. My reading preferences have traveled all over the place over the course of my lifetime and I'm glad for that. I have sampled many genres.

They say to write what you love to read. Right now I'm really into urban fantasy and paranormal romance. Before that, I devoured mysteries in many forms. Cozies, detective, noir, were some of my favorite.

Kindle has been a lifesaver for me, especially the Kindle Unlimited, where you pay $9.99 a month and read as many as you can or want to read. The catch to that, and you knew there would be one, is that not all books participate in this program. Many of my favorite authors, in fact, are rarely found there. But, that's really still okay. It's a great way to discover new favorite authors.

With digital books, most publishers allow a huge mark-down, rightfully so, since there's no material costs. I read more now than I ever have because of it. I'm sure I spend more on the books I want to read now than I did before the Kindle revolution.

Anyway, got off track there a little. Just wanted to join in and ring the bell along with all the others participating in the NaNo this year. From the groups posts on the NaNo site, everyone's seems very anxious, excited and can't wait to get started.

Beings that it's my first, I'm going in with a wing and a prayer, hoping beyond hope to just get my word count by the end ;)

2 comments:

  1. You'll do great. I'm excited, too. It's going to be a great NaNo.

    I'm enjoying Scrivener. I've actually set up my book this year for the first time ever. Still no word count added. Most of my "outline" is in pics.

    Hunter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hunter! Thanks. I use lots of pics, too. Really helps create the mood. Hoping to get my outline finished before the 1st. Peg

    ReplyDelete