Sunday, July 3, 2016

A New Kind of Neighborhood


Tinkling laughter of a young girl wafts through my screen door and catches my attention.

Moving out onto the lawn with my camera, I asked her if I could take her and her puppies picture. She was being pulled along down the paved street in front of my RV by a 4 lb, tiny little dog on a blue leash.

She said, "Sure," and slowed allowing the excited puppy to come over to me. Looking up to the couple, looked like parents, not far behind her, they smiled and nodded consent and we visited a while.

As the family moved on down the street, across the way I could hear the relaxed conversation and quiet laughter of a group of ladies gathered in a circle of lawn chairs.

They were talking and drinking from a pitcher of cold tea on the center table. Needles danced between busy hands as bright colored yarns zipped up from bags at their feet--the park knitting, social circle no doubt.

Down a few spaces, a small group is gathering, putting out lawn chairs, setting up tables. Looks like there's going to be a barbecue for the Fourth celebration. Four or five adults and a couple of kids playing with a dog on neatly manicured green lawn, portable pet fences corral dogs of all sizes on every other space. Most dogs seemed accustomed to the routine and have settled into cushions under trees. It’s a happy, homey scene.

Moving toward the rear storage of my RV for my own lawn chair I was met two small chihuahuas straining on leashes pulling their people behind them. A magnificent backdrop of purple and gray mountains. Trees, blue skies, friendly neighbors (who always pick up after their pets…well, because there is no choice and sometimes that’s a good thing ;)

I love playing with other peoples babies, you get all the fun stuff and kisses and when the funs over Mom and Dad gets to take them home ;).

We visited for almost an hour about this and that, dogs and parks, TV shows and favorite cities. Felt like visiting with old friends, then they continued on their way and I set up my table and chair, planning for my outdoor dinner tonight.

I just have to say, I’ve met more neighbors in the 4 weeks I’ve been RVing than in all the 30 years I lived in my brick and mortar home. I don’t know why that is, I’ve heard others say similar things. Probably because life has because so insular, we don’t feel the need to get outside.

Anyway, it’s like I’m finding myself a part of a large new tribe. It’s a friendly group. There’s an unspoken code that requires respect of those around you. It’s a pretty simply thing really. The members of this tribe are the sort of people who love their independence and also love being in nature.

They don’t mind bucking the system—the standard—at least for short amounts of time and as they can get away with it. They seem quite an eclectic gathering of wanderers and unique individuals but always courteous and friendly. Oh I’m sure there’s the odd duck that didn’t get the memo, but it seems that’s a rare occurrence. One reason might be because folks like that seem to have no desire to seek the solitude and comfort of nature or meet new people, I suppose.



Warm today, the 4th of July, 2016, almost 73 degrees in Shelton, WA, and the sun is out. The extended canopy on the side of my small RV gives the shade I need to cover the table and portable grill. I popped in the DVD to see if it actually works. Tonight is the first use of the outside TV screen. We didn’t ask for it when we ordered our rig, but it was standard. ‘Nightlife’ will be the movie playing tonight. Thankfully my headphones came with an extension (the code, you know).

Four weeks and 3 days living in my 23’ Thor Compass RV. I’m loving it. The longer I live in it, the more it seems to mold itself to my needs. Just today I’ve discovered a way to have a tiny office for my humble attempts at writing. I just fold up my bed to access the couch under it and erect the little table. Voila!






Now, looking out of my office/bedroom window, I’m greeted by a beautiful garden scene with a


My intention is to live 6 months on the road in my RV and 6 months in the brick and mortar home I share with my husband and 2 cats in Oklahoma. It feels like the perfect balance. Hope to see some of you on the road or in places between.
















No comments:

Post a Comment